Daily Bible Verse

November 14, 2006

Curse Broken, SPECKLED TROUT CAUGHT!

THE CURSE IS BROKEN!!! I have never fished for speckled trout so hard, or so often ever before in my life. It almost became an obsession, to catch that first speck. Everyone else was catching them, why couldn't I? What was I doing wrong? I started to question my techniques, and abilities. I mean, when the guys standing in the surf on both sides of me are catching trout day after day, and I can't get a bite..... And when my friends and neighbors are bringing speckled trout home everyday, and I can't get a bite.....But I was catching other fish, I lost four MirrOlures to big drum in the darkness, and one to a blue that cut my line like it was cooked pasta. (Actually, I only saw one of the drum, I am only guessing that the others were drum.) But that speckled trout that I wanted so badly eluded me for weeks. Anyway, I caught my first keeper speck of the season just after daylight Tuesday morning, so I can stop thinking about getting skunked this year. She was a 17 1/2 inch beauty that ate a gulp swimming mullet. Not surprised at the bait are you? I'm not. Fish Candy! Dad caught a nice black drum before we came in about 9 am. There were several specks caught, but not "The Blitz". I still haven't seen "The Blitz" this year, but I have heard of several, always where I fished the day before, or where I left just an hour before "The Blitz" started. Reports are that the specks are biting steady from New River Inlet to New Topsail Inlet. They are biting MirrOlures, jig and grubs, tandem jigs, and of course live shrimp. That's what catches the largest ones. I have tried to catch some live shrimp with my cast net, but I haven't found any in a couple of weeks. I guess they have gone deep or buried. But the trout are finally here, they may not be here long. So if you are a trout person. If you love standing in the surf in your waders with the freezing cold wind blowing, get on down to Topsail Island, because the winter trout season is underway.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny