Daily Bible Verse

November 11, 2006

Bite Good in Surf

Trout are in the surf before daylight, and in good numbers it seems. Still, I have been skunked, although I hooked up with two rather large reds before dawn Friday. Both broke my line taking my MirrOlure with it. I saw one limit of trout that was caught before I got to the "hole" at 5:15am. After that, I saw only one nice speck caught. The weather is wonderful for people, but not so good for fishing. The water is way to warm. It is November 11, and I fished in shorts, a tee shirt, and bare feet. My feet should have been numb with cold. But not so. It is just too warm. Don't get me wrong, fishing is good, fishing is always good. But catching could be better this time of year. There have been a lot of fish caught, but everyone isn't catching them like like normal. Waiting for the water to cool.
The large whiting that we anticipate every fall and early winter are finally showing up, but they are not biting fleas (mole crabs)like they usually do, or even fresh ocean shrimp. It seems this year the white monsters prefer bloodworms. Fresh bloodworms, not artificials, even Berkley Gulp SW bloodworm aren't working like the real thing. You know how I hate to spend ten or even twelve bucks for a dozen live bloodworms, but maybe I will splurge and buy a bag tomorrow. Donna is going to fish with me in the morning, and she loves to catch the big whiting as much an I do, maybe more! I know she usually outfishes me. She did today, pulling in an almost keeper flounder, short by less than 1/8 inch! We started to keep it, thinking it would grow another 1/8 inch in about twenty minutes, but we decided against it, lest the "man" make his weekend walk down the beach checking coolers before flattie had a chance to grow that 1/8 inch. Donna also pulled in a big whiting, almost two pounds, which I happily devoured for supper, and another shorter flounder. I had a small black drum. It was a beautiful day on the beach, fishing was good, but catching wasn't much to brag about unless you had the bloodworms, or got out of bed before 4am. We fished with some old friends, had some good conversation, met some new friends. All in all, a wonderful day on the beach! God has blessed us!
Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny


21068