Daily Bible Verse

September 25, 2006

Fellow Kayak Angler - Email

This post is a series of emails and responses I received from kayak angler Andrew from Sneads Ferry, who reads the blog and is asking for tips for catching reds. I am posting them with his permission. If you would like to correspond with Andrew, send me an email and I will forward it to Andrew to get the channel of communication open. I hope you enjoy.

Begin Emails.



andrew wrote:

I just wanted to drop you a line and say that I am enjoying your blog. I
check in frequently. I recently got into kayak fishing myself, but haven't
had much luck. I noticed that a lot of your pictures look like they are
taking from the dock behind Herring OS. I put in there once, do you live
around there? Maybe I will see you on the water.

Well, anyways, just wanted to say hi and I appreciate the posts.

Take care,

Andrew


My response;
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Johnny Horner" Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Re: Hello
To: "andrew"

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your email and for reading my blog. I do live near Herrings. Steve (at Herring's) is a good friend, and I usually put in at Herring's dock. Do you live in the Topsail area or vacation here? Fishing has been really bad in the surf and piers this year, I have been fishing more from the kayak, hitting the creeks and flats. I have been lucky with the reds this year. And finding the "fish candy" Berkley Gulp was a big help. The fish really love it. I am sorry you aren't having much luck with the drum, if you have specifc questions, I'll be happy to help if I can. Keep in touch.
Johnny


Andrew responded;

Thanks for the reply,

I live in Sneads Ferry, but I travel around putting in at different spots.
Have you had particularly good luck at certain spots. I have fished back
behind Herrings in the creeks, the Chadwick Bay and surrounding ICW, and I
let in on the south side of the island and fished across the ICW in the
creeks. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew


My response;
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 05:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Johnny Horner" Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Re: Hello
To: "andrew"
I love Sneads Ferry Andrew. Donna and I brought our family to Topsail Island in the late 70's for our annual vacations, and I had to make the annual pilgrimage to Sneads Ferry just to take in the sights of an authentic fishing village.

Andrew, these fish are just about everywhere off the ICW. Try the larger "flats"areas first, and if you don't find them go to the smaller creeks. They are usually in very shallow water, from 18 inches down to 8 inches. Chris Medlin at East Coast Sports caught one behind his store in less than 8 inches of water. My favorite bait is the Berkley Gulp 3" White Shrimp, which you can get at East Coast, but they will bite spinner baits, live shrimp, finger mullet, pogies, and even cut shrimp when they are feeding. I think the key is to be quiet. The stealth and the ability to fish in very skinny water is what I like about the kayak. I use the wind and current to my advantage, and position my boat where they will move me over where I want to fish without having to put a paddle in the water. If you are using a carolina rig to present the bait, get the very small egg slip sinkers. I think mine are 1/8 ounce or maybe 1/4 ounce. I got them at East Coast which is the only place I have found the really small ones. I think the big splash of a larger weight might spook the reds. Sometimes, if the wind is really calm, I even rig with just a swivel and no weight. I don't use the red beads for this rig. Stay away from high traffic areas, and look for grassy banks that are near oyster beds. Reds love crabs, and crabs love oysters. Hope this helps. When you go to East Coast to get your Gulp and 1/8 oz egg weights, talk to Chris. He has caught more reds than I will ever catch and I know he can give you some more pointers.

Thanks again for the email, and good luck with the reds.

Tight lines!
Johnny



Thanks again Andrew for allowing me to post your emails, and good luck with the kayak adventures. If you only try one thing I mentioned, let it be the Berkley Gulp Saltwater 3" Shrimp, (East Coast seems to always have the 3" in stock) rigged carolina style with the small egg sinker or no weight at all. Throw out the bait a good distance from the boat and let it drift with the current. If you don't get a hit, try throwing to the banks, and move it very slowly. Thats the way I have had the most luck with this bait.

Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny