Daily Bible Verse

June 23, 2008

Surf Fishing

Hello, Donna and I went surf fishing Thursday. When we arrived, the
spanish were busting bait in the surf, right in the breakers! I could
have reached them with a cane pole. Sadly, they wouldn't bite anything
in my box. From what I saw, they were eating bait fish that I call
silver sides. I don't know what the technical name is, but they are a
small clear looking fish with a silvery or whitish stripe down the
side. Anyway, I was trying to entice one to bite my gotcha plug. After
trying the conventional techniques such as casting and jerking quickly
to make the bait dart side to side. No luck, so I tried another
technique. I let the bait go to the bottom, then lifted the rod tip
slowly, then reeled in slack. This method didn't catch a spanish
mackerel, but did however catch a nice keeper flounder 15 1/2 inches.
The rest of the trip we filled the cooler with sea mullet, a mix of
whiting and virginia mullet. All are in the freezer, awaiting a family
feast.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny


Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna

Thank you for supporting our sponsors.
Shop the Clearance Department at Basspro.com


Ready for a great day fishing on the water? Check out our Charter Boat page.
Topsail Area Charter Boats

Ready to enjoy eating your catch? Impress your family and friends with recipes from our seafood recipe page.
Fishin Topsail's Seafood Recipes