Daily Bible Verse

May 3, 2008

Friday and Saturday Morning Surf Fishing

Hello from Surf City! I had a few hours free last evening so I grabbed a surf rod, threw a handfull of bait in my bucket/beachchair and headed to the beach. The weather was wonderful, with mild temps and a light breeze. I fished the last hour of the incoming tide, and the first hour of the outgoing tide. I only caught one fish, a beautiful sea mullet (whiting) that weighed probably a pound and a half. I cleaned the beast on the beach, and whin I got home, all I had to do was rinse it off while my pan was getting hot. Fried some red potatoes and sweet corn, and sliced tomatoes. MMMMM Good!

Saturday morning, well late morning, about an hour before noon, I went back out with Donna and fished a couple of hours with no luck. We saw a jelly washed onto the beach and it was still alive. First time ever for that. I picked it up and flung it as far into the sea as I could, knowing that it would probably wash back. We didn't think it would have washed up if it hadn't been ill in some way. I still am not seeing any bait fish schools in the surf. With a look back in my fishing notes, which aren't very reliable, I see that I had netted finger mullet in the surf the first week in May of last year. Another thing that is bothering me is the lack of sand fleas, (mole crabs) I don't know it they are scarce this year because of the beach renourishment that is going on or I just haven't found them yet. But all my favorite spots are barren this year. The only place I have found them, is just a bit south of Surf City Pier.

Seaview Pier reports that they have "Blues, Blues and more Blues. They are starting to get bigger and were biting off and on all day long. They are biting on Gotcha plugs and occasionally on diamond jigs. Some Sharks and Rays are also being caught. Spanish Mackerel should not be too far behind." The above quote is from SeaView Pier's website. www.seaviewfishingpier.com

Surf City Pier reports some blues during the day, along with a few sea mullets. Lots of sea mullets at night.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna

Shop the Clearance Department at Basspro.com


Ready for a great day fishing on the water? Check out our Charter Boat page.
Topsail Area Charter Boats

No comments:

Post a Comment