Daily Bible Verse

December 7, 2010

Winter Fishing

Check out our Facebook Message Board Over 350 members and growing!
Do you know the current North Carolina size and catch limits? ... Find out here .... 2010 NC Recreational Coastal Waters Guide

Click on the comments button at the bottom of the post to make or read comments on this post.

It's not officially winter yet, just over another week, but it sure feels like winter on the beach. Wind and near freezing temps are making fishing a very uncomfortable activity. But for the brave anglers who brave the cold, there are some catching opportunities. We are getting reports that fishing on the sound side is producing catches of speckled trout, flounder and bluefish. Red drum are still schooling around Lea Islaned. The piers are still open, and are reporting catches of large sea mullet, tons of puffers, occasional bluefish. Small speckled trout are abundant. There have been a few reports of flounder and even a few spots. Brave souls that are surf fishing, are being rewarded with some of the biggest winter sea mullets I have seen. One angler reports catching six over two pounds on bloodworms. There are some large keeper size specks in the surf, but they are scattered. MirrOlure 808 seems to be the best bait, but some are being caught on grups. When the small specks are found, it really doesn't matter what bait you throw. If you are fishing from a boat, try your favorite spots in and around the ICW. Live shrimp under a cork could get a nice speckled trout. That's all I have for now. Reports are getting slow.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny

1 comment:

  1. I have the worst luck winter fishing in the Emerald Isle area. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I may have to head to Topsail and try my luck there. Or I'll just have to book a Crystal Coast fishing charter and have a pro show me what I'm missing. Take care Donna and Johnny...tight lines.

    ReplyDelete