Daily Bible Verse

July 13, 2008

Mr. Nick

Thank you for supporting our sponsors. Donna and I were present at Mr. Nick's (Dogget) memorial service this afternoon on Surf City Pier. The crowd that showed up for the service was overwhelming. Dozens of family and Surf City Pier fishing buddies were there to support Mrs. Mary, Mr Nicks wife and other family members. Mr Nick was a regular at Surf City Pier, and always had a smile and a kind word for everyone. Mr. Nick was also quite a comedian. His dry humor was admired by all. Here is just a short story of one of the many conversations that Mr. Nick and I had on the pier, or in Batt's Grille where Mr. Nick and Mrs. Mary met up with all their friends and had a meal. Anyway, here is the story.
I was casting for trout last November before the pier closed, and Mr. Nick was on the pier. The water was quite muddy, so I was thinking maybe a bright color would attract the attention of a lunker speck. so I baited with a red jig head, and a chartreuse Berkley Gulp Saltwater bait. After Mr. Nick watched me throw the bait and reel in several times, he approached me and ask if I had any more of the baits I was fishing with. I said "Sure" and went to my tackle box, fixed up another jig and chartreuse grub, then handed it to Mr. Nick. He calmly put it in the pocket of his flannel shirt, and without any thing close to a grin or smile said to me. "Thanks, I am gonna put it on my Christmas tree." Then, realizing that Mr. Nick was making fun of my "colorful" lure, I broke out in laughter. Only then did he chuckle and turn to walk away. We will all miss Mr. Nick, and we are praying that Mr. Nick's family will find peace in this difficult time. As for me, I have been blessed with his friendship, and now his memory.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna

Due to some technical issues that we couldn't resolve, we have created a new message board to better serve our readers. Check out our new message board.
CLICK HERE.


Shop the Clearance Department at Basspro.com


How about a great day fishing on the water? Check out our Charter Boat page.
Topsail Area Charter Boats

Ready to enjoy eating your catch? Impress your family and friends with recipes from our seafood recipe page.
Fishin Topsail's Seafood Recipes

Browse the best in Christian jewelry at FamilyChristian.com.


Get your own online store -- in minutes! GoDaddy.com Quick Shopping Cart®