Daily Bible Verse

April 21, 2008

Wind Change, Fishing a Bust!

Hello from Surf City! Dan, Danniel and I went to Jolly Roger Pier today to check out the rumors of 16 inch blues on gotcha plugs. But the wind had changed and was out of North, and we didn't catch a thing. Not even a bite. The only critters we saw were skates and small dog fish, and we managed to stay away from them.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna

Make a comment about this post or start a new discussion. Click on the link below and leave your comment on our message board.
Topsail Island Fishing Blog Message Board

Ready for a great day fishing on the water? Check out our Charter Boat page.
Topsail Area Charter Boats

2 comments:

  1. In the fall I always feel that fish bite better with a north east wind.

    What about the spring and summer, some say a south east wind wind is better.

    What has you're experience been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, thanks for the question, and for posting to our message board. From my experience, in early spring a south to southwest wind seems to work best for me. I think it may be that the water is cooler, and the warmer air and water from the SW or S winds pushes warmer water, and warmer air into our area, which helps warm the water up to the temps that fish like. In summer, I don't think wind direction matters as much as wind speed. There needs to be enough wind to push the water a bit, but not so much that the water is so nasty the lead won't stay down. With that said, some say the wind in the summer needs to be blowing "off the water to push bait in." During the fall, I like Northeast wind. It seems to push the bait into shore, and as you know, where the bait is, the fish will follow. That is my experience, just surf and pier fishing. I don't fish for kings, so I can't help you there. On the inside, I like just enough wind to ripple the water surface a bit. Fish aren't as easily spooked.
    Till next time....
    Tight lines!
    Johnny aka "Fishin'Topsail"

    ReplyDelete