Daily Bible Verse

July 8, 2006

Saturday, Bite Improving on Pier

What has been a slow start on Surf City Pier seems to be picking up. There was even a small spot run today, with better than average size spots being caught for several hours. This morning the blues hit got-cha plugs as well as bottom rigs, and there was a nice spanish caught. I am still trying to find out how big the spanish was. There was also a nice size (keeper) puppy drum caught according to my sources, however, I didn't see it. The sheephead continue to hold around the pilings, some whoppers are there and can be caught by the angler with enough patience to wait them out, and the gear to land them. The small to medium size mullets are still biting with a few larger ones now and then. I am hearing stories of speckled trout being landed on the piers and surf in the early morning and around sunset. Still no king caught from Surf City Pier.
In the surf, the whiting and mullets I have been catching are getting larger, and the drum are still hitting a bottom rig occasionally. They are biting finger mullets better, so I have been told by sources on the beach. Again, these are fish I personally haven't seen.
My granddaughter Christina and I went out in the kayak this afternoon, but didn't get anything. Something bit the curly tails off my grubs, but I didn't see the culprit. There are still a few puppy drum being caught in the sounds and bays behind the island by kayakers in the early morning when the tide is right, which seems to be rising near full high. Christina and I may try again early in the morning if the migraine I have tonight gets better. It seems to be on a rising tide also.
Anyway, it seems that fishing is picking up, just when it should be slowing down. Usually, July brings warmer temps and low pressure systems which turn fish off for some reason. But is seems that this year, for reasons unknown to me, fishing is getting better in July. I'm not complaining, mind you, just pondering the situation. Go git'em while ya can!
Till next time........
Tight Lines,
Johnny

PS..... Wow, my memory is getting bad. In this post I badmouthed July as a bad fishing month, but I have just looked back at my July 2005 posts, and was my memory ever wrong. July 05 was a very good month with several nice fish caught by myself and my fishing buds, Ken and A.C. Very large pompanos, huge whiting, and even keeper reds. What are we supposed to eat to improve our memory?

12543