Daily Bible Verse

June 1, 2006

Spanish, Cobia

Spanish are biting on Surf City Pier and Jolly Rodger Pier at Topsail Beach. There have been some nice ones caught in the three and four pound range too, not just the one footers. I also had a report of several cobia being landed at the Jolly Rodger Pier. There are still plenty of blues for the got-cha chunkers out near the end of the piers. The crowds have increased such that the king anglers have brought out the barricades to keep us "regular guys" off the end of the pier, but we can still get close enough to get to the spanish. Some are being caught just halfway out the pier. Friend and neighbor Tommy caught another puppy drum from his kayak today, this one was a 19 incher! Caught it on a beetle spin again. I have got to find out where his secret fishing hole is. I caught spot and mullet in the surf last evening at almost dead low tide just before sunset, but none were braggin' size.

I loaded my trusted old pen peer #9 that I use with my 11 foot surf casting rod with 12 lb Shakespeare line. It is cheaper than a lot of lines, just as sturdy, and doesn't seem to tangle and backlash as bad. I use a 15 Ft. shock leader and a fish finder rig with a circle hook for red drum, but I had forgotten to take my circle hooks with me to the beach and didn't want to walk back to get them, so I used a size 1 xl long shank tru-turn. I cut a spot up and made bait chunks to fish for drum. I got two nice hits, but forgot to set the hook both times, as I am accustomed to using circle hooks and don't have to set the hook when fishing for drum. I WILL remember to take them with me next time.


Till next time.......
Tight Lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment