Daily Bible Verse

June 23, 2006

Fishing slow, slow, slow

It's a good thing I don't have to fish for my living. I feel for the comercial guys if their catch is as bad as mine. This was the worst spring I have seen in several years. The largest whiting I have caught was 11 inches long. Less than one pound. Last year I had caught 10 that was 2 lbs or better. No puppy drum this year. Last year I caught only one that made the slot, but I had caught others I had to let go. I have caught only a few flounder. NO KEEPERS at all this year.I have caught only a few spots, none that I would brag about. I hope everyone's luck is better than mine. Our grandson Zack is coming to visit, I hope fishing picks up for him. Family members Dave, Danny, and I went on a red drum charter couple weeks ago, and got nothing but a big skate. The guide said to us as we were heading back to the dock empty handed, "That's why they call it fishing and not catching." A pretty cold statement to folks that had just drove 300 miles and spent $375.00 for a day trip to marker 98 and back. I guess he tried to put us on the fish. We moved several times during the morning. Still, an offer of another trip at a small discount, on a day when he didn't have another charter, or even a t-shirt, would have been better than what we got.
Ok, got that "water rage" out of the way. I don't know what the problem is, or if there is a problem. Maybe I am not hearing about the fish being caught. But last year and the year before, and the year before that, I did hear, and I caught some nice fish, and a lot of fish. I even talked about buying an extra freezer to put the catch in. But I ended up giving the extra away. There were plenty of folks that enjoyed them.
Maybe they are just late this year. Yea, that's it. They are just late. I'm going to grab my gear and head to the beach. Maybe I'll head'em off at the pass, before they get too far down the beach for me to catch. Got my fishing rod, my sand spike, and my sand flea rake, and my..............
Till next time.......
Tight lines!
Johnny