Daily Bible Verse

June 18, 2006

Kayaks and Piers

When you get down to Topsail Island, go to Herrings Outdoor Sports at 701 North New River Drive, where you can rent or buy a kayak and go out in the sounds and creeks and try your hand at fishing for puppy drum, flounder and trout. Steve or Jessi can set you up with a kayak, bait, tackle, and anything else you may need to have a fun filled and restful day of fishing or just exploring the bays and sounds behind Topsail Island. I tried kayak fishing for the first time today, and I have to tell you, I am hooked! It was one of my most satisfying fishing experiences. I landed only one 11 inch flounder, not a keeper, but the trip was a blast! Click here the Herrings Outdoor Sports website or call Steve or Jessi at 910-328-3291 for an exciting and fun filled day on the water.

Todays Fishing Report
Folks are catching lots of small mullets from Surf City Pier. LOTS of mullets. However, they are small. Ken and Karen, and Andreas and Karen carried their catch to Batsons Galley and had them cook the mullets for their dinner. I love to catch large mullets, but let me tell you, small ones are delicious to eat. The three or four inch strips of mullet filets breaded and fried crispy on the outside and tender on the inside are wonderful and hard to beat when eating fish. Throw in some french fries and homemade horse radish sauce, and you have a meal. My thanks go out to these folks for thinking of me. I enjoyed some for lunch today, and will probably finish them off for supper tonight.

Other action on the pier and surf include small spots with a few larger ones mixed in, still not as large as this time last year. I have seen some nice black drum and pig fish, some folks call them hog fish, pulled in from around the old leftover pilings on the south side of the pier. There have been some spanish everyday, with a few nice ones, and a few cobia. The flounder are still scarce, with one being caught occasionaly. The blues are still out near the end most every morning for the gotcha pluggers. It seems the best time to bottom fish is the night.
Behind the island, there are still lots of puppy drum, some really nice ones. Fishing bud and neighbor Tommy caught another one yesterday weighing is at 6 and a quarter pounds. He caught one the day before that was 19 inches long. It seems Tommy has found a "puppy drum honey hole" somewhere behind the island.
I am going to try surf fishing sometime this afternoon, probably closer to evening depends on the tide, with some cut bait I had in the freezer. I am hoping to get a drum or flounder.

Till next time.....
Tight Lines,
Johnny

11625