Daily Bible Verse

November 9, 2010

Topsail Beach Fishing Report

2010 NC Recreational Coastal Waters Guide

Click on the comments button at the bottom of the post to make or read comments on this post.

Pop and I fished Jolly Roger Pier over the weekend. Caught lots of black drum and three keeper flounder. Spots have been biting on and off in short runs. You just have to be on the pier when they start biting. Red drum bite has been good. I have seen slot reds come over the rail all weekend. We noticed a few keeper speckled trout, caught on live shrimp fished under floats or popping corks, but pin fish are eating a lot of the live shrimp. I tried a shrimp gulp under a popping cork but had no takers. There are regular catches of blue fish, mostly small, but a few nice blues have been landed using gotcha and bottom rigs. There are not a lot of sea mullets, but the few I have seen caught have been huge. I saw what was probably the largest whiting I have ever witnessed being caught. Angler didn't weigh it or measure the fish, but in the water it looked as like a puppy drum. Saw a five pound plus pompano caught in the surf north of Jolly Roger Pier. Pop and I fished again Sunday night. Some giant sea mullets were caught on shrimp. The sea mullets run started with a bang, and ended just the same way. Pop has a nice cooler of fish to take home to Burlington today. Really enjoyed the week.

More fish reports:  giant roe mullet are everywhere in the surf just after the breakers These fish are huge! I got to try some of these fish fried up in a fish cooker. They were treat! I have heard all kinds of comments about how greasy these fish are, but the ones I had were yummy, and not greasy at all. Give them a try! The spots were out this week, but only in short spurts. You just had to be on the pier at the right time to catch a cooler full. These are not the huge yellow bellies we usually see this time of year. I am starting to wonder if we have missed the migration this year. The water has been unseasonably warm, so they could have stayed off shore out of reach to the pier anglers. I have been told that some years they come in around Christmas also. Hope so for all the anglers like myself who just haven't been able to catch lots of spots this year. Got to go, today is laundry day, but Donna and I might get out to fish a while this evening. 

Good luck!

Till next time....

Tight lines!

Johnny and Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment