Daily Bible Verse

August 10, 2008

Fishing Still Slow, But

Hello from Surf City!

Fishing is still rather slow, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Right? I know I have said that it really doesn't matter if I catch fish or not, it is the trip, with my feet in the sand and wind in my face that I really enjoyed. Ok, I am begining to think I need to change that statement a bit. Catching a fish occasionally would be good! It is the summer, and that's just the way summer fishing is. You can read the beach, check the tides, get the freshest bait and be the first on on the beach, at the right time, in the best spot.......... But that doesn't mean you will catch anything. Just when I think I have it figured out..... Sometimes I get emails from readers planning a fishing trip to the Topsail area. I am ask the question, "What do I need to do to catch fish?" I share all my aquired wisdom with the reader, and I am a bit pleased with myself and my knowledge of saltwater fishing, especially surf fishing. But just when I think I have it figured out, NOTHING. No fish for days, which turns into weeks. Makes an angler feel quite inadequate. The bite has gotten so bad, that I have changed my habits a bit. I haven't been taking my cooler, cast net, flea rake, tackle box ...... Last trip I only took one fishing rod and a bucket to the surf. No minnows to net, no need to dig for fleas, I can dig a half dozen by hand, and that seems to be all I need right now. I do try to take fresh shrimp with me. I just don't like to fish with week old smelly shrimp. As a rule, if I wouldn't eat it, I don't buy it for fishing. So that's just what I have been doing. I cook my leftover bait. At least I am eating good!

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny


Johnny and Donna www.fishintopsail.com
Capt. Brent Stanley www.currentadventurecharters.com
Capt. Mike Dennis www.capefear-guide.com
Captain Jot Owens www.captainjot.com


Leave a comment on our message board.

Topsail Area Charter Boats

Fishin Topsail's Seafood Recipes