Daily Bible Verse

May 28, 2006

Grandkids have a grand time fishing!

My daughter Emiley, her husband Ryan and our four grandchildren are here for a long weekend. While Donna and Emiley took the two youngest girls, Erin and Brianna, to visit great grandmother Bernice, Ryan and I slipped off to the pier with Zack and Christina. We had a grand time. The fish were biting just fast enough to keep the kids interested. Ryan had a great time also, saying this is the first time he had been fishing since his last visit with us two years ago. Although nothing we caught was braggin' size, we caught a nice variety of ocean fish. Sharks and stingrays were in the water to no ones supprise, and we caught mullet, croaker, and hogfish. I don't know how many of each we caught, but it was a good number. We kept a few so the kids could brag a bit to Mom and MawMaw.

Earlier in the day the spanish were hitting really well, as they have been all week. I talked to some folks that have been catching them in good numbers, and not just barely keepers, but nice size. I didn't actually see these large spanish, but I heard about them from more than one source. They are still hitting gotcha plugs, any color, early in the morning. Of course any one who wants a few blues can catch their limit in just a few hours if one gets their early enough.

The pier patrons are still abuzz about the young man that caught a 30 inch king mackeral on a gotcha plug while fishing for blues from the end of the pier. Too bad it wasn't a couple inches longer so he could have kept it. He can still brag about it for a while, and it can grow a bit every time he tells the story!

I don't know where the big whiting are. Last year and the year before, I had caught 20 whiting that weight over two pounds by this time. This year I haven't even hit the one pound mark. I don't know what it could be. I think the water is warm enough, but the fish just aren't here.....not where I am fishing anyway.

Until next time......
Tight Lines!
Johnny
10652

1 comment:

  1. mr horner..enjoy your blog..BUT..those big fish on surf city pier were cobia..thanks..

    ReplyDelete