Daily Bible Verse

November 10, 2005

Fishin' Still Good

Haven't posted in a while due to a killer migraine. However, I am hearing that fishing on the beaches of Topsail Island is still good. Lots of trout are being caught in the surf as well as the ICW and creeks with grassy banks. I heard one report from Chris at East Coast Sports (http://www.eastcoastsports.com)that lots of puppy drum and trout were being caught around the marker 98 area of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Spots, mullets, black drum, trout, and blues are being caught everywhere on the surf and piers. A few spanish were caught at the SeaView Pier in North Topsail Beach, but I haven't heard of any on the other piers. Flounders are coming out of the water in numbers that are impressive, not just on the piers and backwaters, but in the surf as well. Anglers are having good luck with big blues on gotcha plugs from Surf City pier.

Before this last migraine put me down, I had good luck fishing with beef liver. Dad and I caught mullet, spots and black drum from the surf on the liver. I am excited about this because of the high cost of bloodworms. About $11 for 10 worms, and they keep getting smaller and smaller. The bloody beef liver is about $1.49 a pound. Give it a try. Someone suggested salting it down so it will keep longer, but I don't know if that would be necessary. I talked to an angler on Surf City Pier that salts his shrimp. He buys large quantities early in the season when shrimp are cheap, heads and cuts them into small bait size pieces, salts them down, then puts them in quart freezer bags and freezes them. When he heads for the pier, he just tosses a bag in his cooler and his bait is ready. Just a note, he was catching just as many fish as I was on fresh shrimp. Sounds interesting.

Thanks to fishin bud Ken for keeping me up to date on the fishing reports while I have been incarcerated.

Till next time,
Tight Lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment