Daily Bible Verse

August 26, 2005

Drifting the Intracoastal Waterway

Went surf fishing this morning. Didn't get started until 8 am. Real fishermen get up early to go fishing. Anyway, the surf was so nasty that 5 oz weights wouldn't hold the bottom. It bounced down the beach like a rubber ball. I walked along with it for about a quarter mile, but it never stopped. I thought if I could find a hole, it wouldn't wash so bad. That stragedy didn't work this time. After about an hour of realling in my rig every 3 or 4 minutes, I decided it was too much like work, and packed it in. When we arrived home, our friends Ben and Doris ask us if we would like to go out in the boat. We went out to the ICW and drifted with the current. We floated from Marker 76 down past the BC marker. We were catching small blues and small sharks. Doris caught one really nice blue, probably about 2 lbs. It is a couple of nice fillets now. Going to be a good dinner tomorrow night when added to the mullet and one spade fish I have in the fridge. Drifting down the Intracoastal Waterway is one of my favorite activities. It's so peaceful, especially at dusk, that catching fish is really not that important. WO, WHAT AM I SAYING. Ok, I'm back now. Back from whatever place I was in when I said catching fish wasn't important. We tried several different approaches. We dragged flounder rigs along the bottom. We fished finger mullets under a bobber. And we tried a new rig I bought recently. It is a wire attached to a float and a leader. The wire goes in the finger mullet's mouth and out, ummm, let's say where the sun don't shine. Then the double hook is attached to the wire. The small cork is at the minnow's head, and keeps it off the bottom. The rig is weighted with a 1 oz round bottom sinker. When rigged this way, it is extremely difficult for sharks or blues to bite off half the minnow without getting hooked. I think I like this rig, and I'll try it again.

Question......where is all the shrimp? I haven't netted any shrimp in a couple of weeks. All my "honey holes" are not producing any longer. Ponder this and post a reply if you have any ideas. Better sign off now, got to get up early in the morning to go fishing. As they say "The early bird gets the worm uh er I mean the fish. Until next time,
Tight Lines,
Johnny

1 comment:

  1. I read where the shrimp harvest in NC waters was down 80% this year from the five year average. Seems no one is catching many. In fact some shrimpers have told me they aren't even going out right now cause the catches are down and gas prices are up.

    ReplyDelete