Daily Bible Verse

July 10, 2005

Big Reds in Surf at Topsail Beach


Went fishing this morning at 6 am with my friends Ken and A.C. Had a good morning. Weather was nice, overcast, about 85 degrees. Fished the incoming tide, high was about 11:05 am acording to muy tide table. About 6:30 or so I caught a gray trout, 15 inches long on shrimp. Soon after Ken started catching mullet. He had caught 8 nice ones by noon. A.C. caught a nice sheephead about 11 am. The fish weighed a touch over 3 lbs. The bait was a sand flea. I finally landed a red drum. I have lost several big ones the past week due to broken lines. I landed this one at 10 am. He bit a big sand flea. The surf was rough and loaded with seaweed. I finally changed my weight to a 2 ounce round bottom rig because the pyramid was bringing in so much seaweed. The 2 ounce bounced and moved up and down the beach, but I was tired of dragging in 10 lbs of trash every cast, so I tollerated the movement. The red hit a flea on a bottom rig with a number 4 long shank hook. He immediatly started stripping line. Ken walked with me up the beach as I fought the fish. He was telling me he would kick my a#% if I touched the drag! We saw the tail with the spot one time and then Big Red decided he was too close to the beach and made another long run. Finally the red was landed, weighed a little over 8 lbs, and was 26 inches long.

No comments:

Post a Comment