Daily Bible Verse

February 14, 2011

Stripers in Oregon Inlet

Check out our Facebook Message Board Over 350 members and growing!
Do you know the current North Carolina size and catch limits?
Find out here2010 NC Recreational Coastal Waters Guide
Make a Comment? Read Comments?
Click on the COMMENTS button on bottom of this post.
<*))))>< <*))))>< <*))))>< <*))))>< <*))))><

Hello from beautiful downtown Topsail Beach! What a great day is was today. Sun out, started out a bit cool and breezy, but after noon warmed up quite a bit. Went for a nice walk on the beach with my Donna. I am so ready for Spring and warm weather. I have my fishing rods cleaned and ready, Tackle box organized, ready, but I may have to get another box. I am short on a lot of tackle. I lost a lot last year on hang ups and broken line. I need to replace some got-cha plugs, mirro-lures, a couple hundred dollars in gulp saltwater, (not really, but a lot), and my box is already full. For the last couple of years I have used smaller more specialized boxes. You know what I am talking about, one box for gulp, grubs, and jig heads. One box for mirro-lures and hard baits. Another box for bottom fishing.  I don't think I really like this system. This year I'm going back to one box. It's going to have be a big one. But I think I will like it better.

Now, to the fishing reports!

Anglers who venture out are still catching some nice big stripers out of Oregon Inlet. Reports are the boats in the parking lots have thinned out a bit so the traffic isn't quite so bad. There is room to fish now without running into another boat or getting tangled with another line when you have a fish on. I am also getting some reports of red drum out in Brunswick Co and in northern South Carolina. Try jig heads with gulp shrimp or swimming mullet. I am hearing some anglers are getting good results with jig heads and mud minnows also. Just like all winter long, fish slow and use light weight jigs, most are using 1/4 oz. I also received one report of a few black drum at the 172 bridge. They were caught on frozen mullet. This is third hand info, and unconfirmed. The charter boats Rock Solid and Carolina Blue fishing off the Outer Banks had a couple of good days Friday and Saturday. They jigged up a couple of stripers that tipped the scales at 53 and 47 pounds. Those were the big ones. There were other stripers caught, most over 35 lbs. Fin-Nagle charter reported his charter landed a 41 pounder and a 20 pounder, nice fish but thats all they could catch this trip. Last years trip with the same couple produced over 40 fish in one day! I guess that's why they call the sport "fishing" and not "catching."


Sorry folks, local reports still hard to find.

Till next time....
tight lines!
Johnny

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment