Daily Bible Verse

January 18, 2011

Shameful Striped Bass Slaughter!

Check out our Facebook Message Board Over 350 members and growing!

Jolly Roger Inn and Fishing Pier, Topsail Beach, North Carolina

Do you know the current North Carolina size and catch limits?
Find out here 2010 NC Recreational Coastal Waters Guide

Make a Comment? Read Comments?
Click on the COMMENTS button on bottom of this post.




Hello from Topsail Beach. I wish I was reporting a great fishing trip or a new NC state record catch, but tonight it isn't so great a post. This news is sickening. This is the second time I have heard of this slaughter of our fishing resource. I have been caught jumping the gun when something I posted turned out to not be true. So this time, I waited for more than one source, before making this post. The pictures above were taken by a recreational angler of a commercial boat netting strippers. The commercial are reportedly only allowed to keep 50 stripers per day, but there is no requirements on how they will catch their 50 fish. As I understand it, they are allowed to net as many as they can, then pick out the biggest 50 fish as their catch. The DEAD fish you see floating in the pictures are the rejects, the throwbacks, the bycatch. WHAT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! What kind of rule is this !? These commercial "criminals" can do this every day killing hundreds of stripers that a recreactional angler is obligated to release, and does so ALIVE! AND PROUDLY! AND RESPONSIBLY! I am beginning to believe the Department of Marine Fisheries should be renamed to the Department of Commercial Fisheries. After all, it seems like that's who gets all the consideration. When the DMF closed the speckled trout harvest this winter due to cold water kills, I thought they were finally making some responsible dicisions. And now I see this...... I need to shut up until I calm down a bit before I post something on this "internet" that I can't take back. Take a deep breath and count to 10. I n and O u t .... 1 .... 2 ..... 3......

till next time....
tight lines!
Johnny

2 comments:

  1. Typicle ding-batter//// Don't know the diference between a crocker and a striper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anonymous, It really doesn't matter ..... croaker or striper, the slaughter of thousands, to aquire the sale of fifty, isn't right. Thankfully, and to tell the truth quite unexpectedly quick action on the part of the NCDMF will help with the situation, but only very strict enforcement by the coast guard will totally solve this problem. Thanks for your comment.
    Regards,
    Johnny and Donna

    ReplyDelete