Daily Bible Verse

November 20, 2008

Fishing Slows

Fishing Topsail Message Board
Topsail Area Charter Boats

2008 NC Recreational Coastal Waters Guide for Sports Fishermen


Hello from Surf City!
Fishing has slowed a bit, but there are still fish around. Some puffers (MMMMM Good) are being caught in the surf. Puffer fish, along with speckled trout are the last to leave the surf. Stripers are a cold water fish, but for whatever reason, we don't catch them in our surf in the winter time. They are plentiful at the Outer Banks, and they will move up the Cape Fear River. Stripers are caught from the Cape Fear, right in downtown Wilmington on the waterfront. They will also move farther up the Cape Fear and into the North East Cape Fear River. I haven't been out that much as I am caring for Donna while she rehabs from knee surgery. She is recovering quickly from a total knee replacement surgery. I have caught one flounder this week, and I also landed a few small mullet and a puffer. Still no speckled trout for me, but they are being caught at night. I just can't seem to get myself out of bed in time to find them. It seems that by 6am the bite is over for the day. Some surf anglers on the beach in Surf City have showed me some black drum (some large; 3 or 5 pounds) and some small just barely keepers. I have also seen a couple of red drum caught in the surf this week. There have been lots of black drum, not as many as last week, but enough to keep the anglers happy and well fed. This morning while walking our dogs, I found a half dozen large welk shells, and a huge conk shell. Stay tuned for more, as I can get out to the beach.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna