Daily Bible Verse

October 23, 2008

Flounder Action HOT!

Fishing Topsail Message Board
Topsail Area Charter Boats
Fishin' Topsail's Seafood Recipes


Hello from Surf City!
I went surf fishing this morning. I didn't take any bottom rigs or heavy surf gear. Instead, I opted for my trout rod with jigs and grubs for bait. I had several small flounder and two keepers. They were only 15 and 16 inches, but they were really fat and healthy. Most all of the flatties I have caught this fall have been heavy for their length. MMMMMM! Makes some fine eating! I used Berkley Gulp swimming mullet, new penny color until I found a good flounder hole, then switched to plastics. Got loads of hits, but was having trouble hooking up for awhile. Didn't catch any speckled trout, but I had a fun morning casting the jigs for the flounder. Water is cooling nicely, and fishing should be good for another couple of weeks at least. I don't think the specks are schooling yet, as I have only caught a single speck in some of my surf outings. All have been undersized. I usually don't keep a speck under 15 inches, there just isn't enough meat to make a good fillet. I have heard that some anglers are catching specks using live shrimp and finger mullets. Oh, btw, the water is still full of finger mullets. I plan to take my cast net out this afternoon and get a bunch to freeze for later this winter, or early next spring. As usual, thanks to everyone for supporting our blog, and .......
Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny