Daily Bible Verse

September 8, 2008

Largemouth Bass and Red Drum Fishing

email question from blog
[quote]
Johnny,
Really the only thing I have done in the surf is double bottom rig. I am a
bass tournament guy and have become interested in surf with what little I
have been fortunate to do. I have been red fishing in Fl. WOW. Those
critters fight. I do not want to bother you but if you could tell me more
about how to catch the bigger fish along with pompano( I hear they are
delicious). I guess the rigs and what kind of rod setup I need. Also do we
need to look below Jolly Roger or does this matter.
[end quote]

Hi Wayne, I don't qualify myself as an expert on any kind of fishing. I
only relay what has worked for me, or more specifically, what is
working "now." I was also a die hard largemouth angler (catch and
release only) for years before moving to the coast. Fishing the ocean
and backwaters is like fishing an extremely large lake. What worked
yesterday or last week, it NOT necessarily what is working this week. With that said.....

Pompano in the surf, when a school comes through your area, will bite just about anything from bloodworms, shrimp, crab parts, cut fish, but they absolutely love sand fleas, especially the big ones. These large pompano seem to hang out on the edge of the sand bars, not in the near shore surf like their smaller brothers and sisters do. Bait up with a number 4 hook on a plain bottom rig, (no bling) with large sand fleas, and try to hit the edge of the sand bar.

Red drum on the inside, boat fishing
I have found that fishing for red drum is a lot like fishing for largemouth bass. They like structure. You find their food source and you will likely find them. The only thing that is different, it tides. Reds seem to move from place to place with the tides. I have had the most luck around docks, piers, and bridges on outgoing tides. On incoming tides, I fish grass lines, especially grass lines near oyster beds. Reds love oysters, and crabs, and you will most always find crabs near oyster beds. The incoming tides will flush sea life out of the marsh grass and the reds will be there waiting. Reds like most of the same baits as largemough bass. Spinner baits, topwater baits, shallow diving crank baits, jigs and grubs, even plastic worms. But my favorite alround bait, my go to bait when the bite is tough is Berkley Gulp Saltwater, 4 inch Shrimp or Swimming Mullet. Match the color to the water, just like bass fishing. Bright colors on sunny days, dark colors on overcast days. When I can see the reds in the shallows, and they are spooked easily and just won't bite anything, stealth is the key. I use the wind to drift near or over the schools. I bait with light line, with a 12 lb good quality shock leader (oyster beds will wreck a leader) a weedless hook and NO WEIGHT. Position your boat for the drift, cast out your bait, and drift quietly over the fish. And HOLD ON!
Most of the above applies to flounder also, except the flounder much prefer live bait, not so much the spinners or cranks, but they will bite any of the Berkley Gulp Saltwater baits when fish on a carolina rig.


A bit about surf fishing.

The inlets, Yes, a trip to the inlets will almost always be worth the trip. But, if you are walking in, it's a long walk, take your snacks, lots of water, (not soft drinks or beer) watch out for dehydration. Rescue is called to the inlets every year for someone who is dehydrated and has heat problems. (me included).
There are fish all up and down the beach. Just like bass, most surf fish like structure. Surf structure may be just an uneven bottom, a shallow hole washed by the tide, old pier pilings, anything different from the surrounding areas. Bait will wash into these holes, and where the bait is, the fish will be. The best ways to find these holes is walk the area you will be fishing at low tide. Then go back as the tide comes in. Some anglers have a favorite time to fish. And so do I. I love to fish in the ocean when the water is moving. lol, really the only time I don't like to fish, is dead low tide, and there is even an exception to that rule. In the late fall, when the water is too cold to wade without waders, I like to wade to the sandbar at low tide and throw a jig and gulp saltwater for flounder and speckled trout. The water has to be relatively calm for this, but it can be productive. Starting in middle October, I start casting for specks. Unlike a lot of folks, I use light line when surf fishing. I use 12 lb test line, and tie about a 20 lb test 8 ft long shock leader on my line. This cuts down on line drift caused by wind and surf, and I don't loose many fish due to the smaller diameter and tensil strength of the line. My favorite all around bait for surf fishing is sand fleas, I have caught everything on fleas, except for flounder and blues, and I have heard of these biting fleas. And fleas are free with a little sweat. My biggest surf caught fish, a 44 inch red drum, was caught at Topsail Beach, Surf City city limits on a sand flea and 12 lb test line. It took thirty five minutes to land the beauty. All of a sudden, I am out of ideas, so if you have any more questions, just email, and I will answer them. I am going to post this answer and question, but I will not post your email. Thanks again for reading my blog, and as always....
Until next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna





Fishing Topsail Message Board
Topsail Area Charter Boats
Fishin' Topsail's Seafood Recipes