Daily Bible Verse

July 29, 2008

Sailfish invade the Carolina Coast

This past weekend I had the pleasure of fishing in the 9th annual Capt. Eddy Haneman Sailfish Tournament hosted by the Bridge Tender Marina in Wrightsville Beach. The weather was perfect for the event and in all I think 47 boats entered the two day tournament. Though we didn't land any Sailfish aboard the Current Adventure, we had a couple of shots and me and my crew had a great time.

Friday's fishing was a little slow with only 7 Sailfish being caught and released, but many more were seen. My crew and I had a large Sailfish jump all over our port teaser and he was lit up!!! When I moved one of our baits just behind the teaser, he immediately ate. The National Marine Fisheries has mandated that all bill fish tournaments require the use of circle hooks. Bill fishing with circle hooks is a whole new expierience for me and needless to say, I wasn't successful in getting the hookup as the fish jumped and threw the bait before I could come tight with the line. However, at day's end, we were sitting in second place in the Dolphin category with a nice 16.6lb Dolphin that my sweetie and first mate Karen landed.

Saturday brought a lot more Sailfish action with 18 Sailfish being caught and released. That made a total of 25 Sailfish caught in two days of fishing, with many, many more fish seen or lost. Saturday also saw me and my crew get knocked out of the Dolphin category when a new leader knocked the number one fish down to number two and thus knocking us out of the money.

Overall the tournament was a great success with over 10 thousand dollars raised for charity. I would like to personally thank Capt. Lee Parsons and the entire Sailfish committee for putting on a great event and I look forward to the 10 annual event.

If you have ever wanted a chance to catch a sailfish, now is the time. These fish will remain in the area in good numbers through August, so give me a call and book a trip if you would like to go chase some of these great fish.

Till next time,

Tight lines!!!

Capt. Brent



Thank you for supporting our sponsors.

Thanks to our Blog Contributors!


Johnny and Donna
www.fishintopsail.com

Capt. Brent Stanley
www.currentadventurecharters.com

Capt. Mike Dennis
www.capefear-guide.com

Captain Jot Owens
www.captainjot.com


Check out our new message board.
CLICK HERE.


How about a great day fishing on the water? Check out our Charter Boat page.
Topsail Area Charter Boats

Ready to enjoy eating your catch? Impress your family and friends with recipes from our seafood recipe page.
Fishin Topsail's Seafood Recipes

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny and Donna