Daily Bible Verse

April 2, 2007

Opening Weekend at SC Pier, Pretty Good!

Surf City Pier opened officially Friday morning at 6 am. They have been open off and on for a couple of weeks, but nothing regular. I arrived at the pier at 5:45 am, accompanied by my grandson Zack and son-in-law Ryan, and had bait in the water before 6. The free season pass eluded us once again, as pier fishing friend Alan snagged the first mullet at about 6:30 am or so. As you probably know, I was supposed to win the free season pass by catching the first mullet. I have been bragging on some message boards that I had it in the bag. Oh well, maybe next year. I knew it wouldn't take long the way we have been catching mullets before Friday. Alan in an avid king fisherman, so he paid the difference and got his season king pass. Alan is still in school, so he had to leave for classes just as soon as he got the pass out of the way. So now Alan is all set for the coming king season. Alan is such a nice guy, that I must say that if I couldn't win the pass, I am glad Alan did win it. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. During the day Friday, there were several nice sized mullets caught, I'm estimating some about 2 lbs or more and a few puffers. Speaking of puffers, could anyone tell me the difference between a puffer and a toad fish? A pier angler told me he ate puffers, but didn't eat toads. I thought they were the same. OK, back to the fishing. We fished until late Friday afternoon, and caught a few fish, which we promptly devoured for supper Friday night. Saturday morning was spent eating breakfast with Donna's mom Bernice, better known locally as Ms. Lee, at Batt's Grill. After a wonderful breakfast of country ham, scrambled eggs, grits, and a pancake, it was off to the pier for Zack, Ryan and myself. We set lines about 11 or so, and soon had the first puffer in the cooler. Following the puffer was a variety of puffers, sea mullets, spots, and even a bluefish. Of course there were the skates and stingrays. They seem to always be around. I saw a lot of nice Va. mullets pulled over the rail Saturday and on into Saturday night. Zack and Ryan and I had a wonderful day on the pier, we got a bit red, but no serious sunburn, and we caught a lot of fish. Zack was happy. They had to return home to Burlington, NC. Sunday morning, and with them they took four quart freezer bags full of fish fillets. I talked to Ryan about 7 Sunday evening and they were about to eat their fill of fresh fish. First of the season.

I want to say hello to our new pier fishing friends, Jim and Susan, and Jeff and Jamey. We really enjoyed the evening of fishing and conversation. Hope to see you soon!


Keep in mind, that...
Freedom isn't Free!
Someone has already paid for you and for me.

Everybody has to be somewhere. I'll be fishing!

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment