Daily Bible Verse

January 2, 2007

New Years Eve Trout

I didn't fish for the last couple of days, migraine. Speck fishing in the surf may be slowing down, but the speckled trout are still around. Friend Tommy caught a trio of nice keeper trout on an outing to the surf on New Years Eve. All were caught on grubs. Tommy released several smaller trout. Sorry I don't have a pic, my camera is out of order.
Good job Tommy!

Inside, the trout are still biting grubs and live bait. You can find them in the deeper holes off the bank. Live shrimp are getting hard to find, but other minnows including the hardy mud minnow will entice a bite. Med size puppy drum, a few in the slot, are also being caught in the shallows around grass beds and oyster beds off the intracoastal. Be sure to use a stout shock leader, to keep the drum from cutting your line in the oyster beds. I use at least a 15lb leader about 10 feet long, and everytime I come in, it is nicked up really bad. I change the leader every trip. I would rather take the few extra minutes changing it than have a nice puppy drum break it off.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment