Daily Bible Verse

December 16, 2006

Speckled Trout Still in Surf

I finally got a chance to go fishing yesterday. I went to the Surf City Pier for a couple of hours before I had to make a trip to Sneads Ferry. I caught several specks, all of which were too small, but I was delighted to catch them. It proves that they are still in the surf, and haven't been run out by the cold. Friend Tommy caught a nice one yesterday. The keeper speck bit a green grub. He said a friend he was fishing with caught four specks, all keepers in the surf, south of Surf City Pier. I know that's kind of general, but I can't divulge another anglers honey holes. I don't mind giving up mine, but some trout anglers are funny that way. I saw an angler stuffing trout in his waders so his bucket would be empty as he walked back to the truck. These guys will do anything to protect their domain! There are still flounder in the surf also, Tommy caught one this week, only to have it stolen off the back porch by a pretty smart racoon, by moving a bucket, and unhooking a bungee to get the cooler open. I can see what's left of the flounder carcus in the creek from my elevated back deck. These racoons around here are really crafty. Several weeks ago, three speckled trout were stolen from the cooler on the back porch. They have learned who catches the fish on Topsail Island!

My trip out this morning to the surf netted one 17 inch keeper trout. I kept it too, I have some mussels in the fridge that will be good grilled up with the speck for supper along with some fried grits. (maybe potatoes tonight) I plan to go out in the kayak later, the puppy drum have been biting all up and down the waterway in the creeks and flats after the sun warms the water a bit. I will be using 1/16 oz jig and gulp saltwater baits. I am going to start out with the homemade (by Chris Medlin at East Coast Sports) jig baited with the gulp. This is a fantastic jig, and doesn't ever miss. Well almost never. Good job Chris! Go by East Coast Sports and ask Chris about the jig.

My cousin, Joe Kimball, from Robins, NC. is an avid hunter, and has challenged me to a duel of sorts. He and his friends are hunting today, and will email pictures of the days bag. I will email pictures of todays stringers of my friends and myself as we fish. Bragging rights go to the winner! Kind of like apples and oranges, but it will be fun anyway. Well, time is a'waistin, got to get back out there, Joe and Cuz Terri are coming to visit after Christmas, and I would love to be able to brag a little when they get here. I only hope Joe's son Josh isn't hunting today, if he is, I am doomed already. This kid is a dead shot, and seems to have a horse shoe hidden somewhere on his person. LOL Just kidding Josh. Scroll down a bit and check out one of Josh's latest trophy's. Ok, enough. Gotta go fishing!

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment