Daily Bible Verse

December 20, 2006

Keeper Trout

The speckled trout were in the surf thick Tuesday morning. I caught no less than 20, probably more. Only problem, they were small. I kept three that were a bit over 13 inches for supper last night. The specks were biting Berkley Gulp Swimming Mullet, three inch in smoke color. I got them at Herring's Outdoor Sports, but I am sure that they carry them at the other tackle shops at the beach. I know they have them at East Coast Sports. I fished them with a slow retrieval, pick up the rod tip, then lower and reel, pick up rod tip then lower and reel. I couldn't entice a bite by bouncing on the bottom like I usually fish a jig. The bite seemed to come as the jig was falling back to the bottom. I tried fishing mirrolures, but had only a couple of small bites. Small trout are still being caught from Surf City Pier in the daylight hours. As you probably know the pier is closed after dark. I had a report of several black drum and some sea mullet being caught in the surf just north of Surf City Pier. Don't know what the bait was. I talked to a couple of guys digging for sand fleas (mole crabs) yesterday afternoon. They were actually finding a few fleas, but they were deep. They had to do a lot of digging for just a few fleas, but when fleas are your bait of choice, then digging is what you do. I still haven't gotten out in the kayak. It seems that every time I get ready to go, something comes up, and I have to reschedule my trip. Maybe I will get out soon. I really miss my little outboard skiff, this time of year. There are a lot of good winter fishing spots that I just don't have the energy or time to paddle to, and with the little skiff I could motor up and go. I hope this wonderful weather continues. Donna and I am having a great time walking on the beach in our shorts and t-shirts at Christmas time. If you can get here, the weather is great, the fish are biting, the restaurants and bait shops are still open, so load the car and head this way! We would love to have you for Christmas.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment