Daily Bible Verse

November 19, 2006

More Specks!

More speckled trout were caught today in the surf, with a few caught from Surf City Pier.I got out to the surf about 8am, and caught another beauty, a 20 inch fighter that jumped all the way out of the water when she was hooked! Oh yea, first cast. I had great expectations for a quick limit and an early breakfast, but it was not to be. I didn't catch another one. I saw another dozen on the beach most about the same size as mine. The trout were hitting MirrOlures and grubs, and seemed to like the "Purple Haze" grubs best. That is what I caught mine on, and I know of at least three more large specks caught on the same lures. I am not sure of the number MirrOlure the trout were hitting, but it looked like the plain mullet, just black on top, with silver sides. I have one in my box that's been there for a long time. I fished with a "rainbow" MirrOlure today, but didn't have any bumps. A doormat flounder was caught right beside me on a mullet colored MirrOlure by friend and fishing bud Michael. You have seen Michael's stringers on these pages before. I have more pictures of his to post, I just have to get to them. Richard, a fishing bud, and Michael's father-in-law, caught a huge 20 inch whiting, which had to be at least two and a half pounds, on a live shrimp! At first they thought it was a puppy drum. I'll let you know more when I get the details. They will be sending pictures when they get back home to the computer.
News from the Surf City Pier.... The spots were really biting today around noon, two at a time! Spots in the middle of November? What's going on here? With these fish runs occuring so late, are we going to have the trout schooling all the way through December? Could be. Stay tuned..........

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny