Daily Bible Verse

November 5, 2006

Black Drum Flounder Reds Trout


What would you call the list in the above title. A winter mix? Well that's what was biting this morning when I went for an early morning surf fishing outing. I personally caught the black drum and mullet in the picture above, but the other fish were coming in around me. A friend, Mike, that fishes here most every weekend caught his first and second red drum today. The first was caught on a slider drum rig with live shrimp, and the second hit a Berkley Gulp Swimming Mullet (white) while Mike was casting in the surf for flounder on a falling tide. It took Mike every bit of five minutes to land the 23 1/2 inch red with the light spinning tackle and 8 lb test line. The red was the most beautiful redfish I have ever seen, with four spots on one side and ten on the other for a total of fourteen spots. It was fat, and must have weighed eight or nine pounds. Mike also caught a couple of keeper flounder. He started his day about 5am, and was still there when Donna and I left the beach about one in the afternoon. Great job Mike. Hopefully Mike will send me a picture and I will post it to the blog.


Speckled trout have also been biting. I still haven't caught a keeper, but it seems everyone else that has wet a line has. They are biting everything from cut shrimp to mirro-lures and especially live shrimp. I have seen some huge ones, six and seven pounders! I will keep getting out there early in the am, and I will eventually hit the run and get my limit. Trout isn't my favorite fish to eat, but I love to catch them, they are so elusive.


The large whiting are still slipping away from me this year also. I have caught some, but not the large "over two pounders". A couple folks have said that they have caught some "whoppers" on bloodworms, and this year they aren't feeding on mole crabs (sand fleas) like normal because the fleas are buried so deep. Could be, I guess, but I have found lots of fleas right near the top on the incoming tides, and still haven't had much luck with the big whiting.


The piers are doing about the same, with small spot runs now and then, but nothing major. There are some big sea mullet and whiting being caught near the end, but not in big numbers. Black drum and puppy drum are the big guns near the surf, and are keeping most anglers busy. There have been some nice ones brought over the rails. The die-hard flounder anglers are still catching nice numbers of flounder, but keepers are not talked about much. I suspect that just like the speckled trout there are more being caught than are being reported. These guys and gals just don't like to advertise their success.


So winter fishing is heating up. Pardon the pun. Things are looking good. If you know where you can net some shrimp, live shrimp, even in the surf, is a good bet for large fish. Live mullet minnows would be my next choice, but they are hard to find in the surf right now. Make a trip down south to the inlet where they are easier to find. Next comes FRESH FRESH FRESH cut shrimp and cut mullet for large catches. And for you anglers that like the artificials, it's got to be the Berkley Gulp Salt Water baits. The swimming mullet seems to be the hot one right now, with white the color for bright sun shine days and new penny, orange, or pink the color for overcast conditions.


Remember to buy your bait and tackle at our local bait and tackle shops. Your continued support will assure that they will be able to compete with the large "Bass Pro Shops" and stay in business to be here for your next fishing trip to this fishing paradise. In addition to the piers, of which Surf City Pier is my personal favorite, there is Herrings Outdoor Sports, and East Coast Sports. Off the island there is Thomas Bait and Tackle, One Stop Bait and Tackle, and near Holly Ridge there is Doug's Tackle. No matter which is your favorite, you will walk away with your fishing needs satisfied, and probably have a new fish tale to share with your friends back home. There seems to always be someone hanging around these shops eager to talk fishing with visitors.


So till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny




20564