Daily Bible Verse

October 11, 2006

Surf Catch and Release Exercise

My surf fishing expedition today turned into a practice session for catch and release for undersize flounder. I caught nine that were between 12 and 13 1/2 inches length. Most were really hefty. I fished the entire tide from high to low, hoping to pull in a keeper. Flounder were not the only undersize fish that found my bait today. I also caught two puppy drum, one fifteen and the other sixteen inches. I was fishing a hole at Topsail Beach south of Jolly Rodger Pier that held fish throughout the afternoon. I also caught a large mullet, almost two pounds, best whiting catch of the year for me, and a couple of really nice spots. Throw-backs included lots of small sea mullets, pompanos, snapper blues, and lizard fish. I had the whiting and spots for supper with fries, cooked up at Batt's Grill in Surf City. They do a really good job, but they were so busy tonight that service was lacking, and I had refill our tea.

The spots are still hit and miss at the local piers. An all day outing could net you a medium cooler full, and except for a few small flounder and pompano that's about all that is coming over the rail. We are expecting a cold front to pass through our area this weekend, and hopefully, it will cool the waters, and blow the spot schools back in.

That's it for now. Until next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny


18457