Daily Bible Verse

September 3, 2006

Finally, Water Cools, Fish Return to Surf City Pier

Send Johnny an E-Mail

I went fishing last night for the first time in a couple fo weeks. I joined friends Ken and Karen, Andreaus, Karen, and Mike. My wonderful, loving, UNDERSTANDING wife, Donna, was working. I have to say that it wasn't my night, but any time fishing is good, right? I only caught two very small spots, but the fish were biting. And they were biting well. All up and down the pier, anglers were pulling in the fish. Puppy drum, sea mullet, croaker, not the croaker we usually see in N.C. but big Virginia croaker. And spot, the yellow belly spot that usually show up in late September or early October. And black drum. I have never seen so many black drum, in the two to three lb range, caught on the same night. One lady caught three black drum that would go three pounds easily. She was fishing with artificial bloodworms and fresh shrimp, but using a bottom rig that had colorful skirts. Skirts that, according to her, "matches my shirt". Well Ken went to the pier house and returned with an identical rig, and although it didn't "match" his shirt, it seems that it makes a difference, because Ken did have a monster on the line, but dropped off on the way up. What a night for us not to have a drop net. Looked to me like the black drum would have went five pounds easily. The north side was diffinately the better side, but fish were coming over the rail on the south side as well. I had a good hit on my penn gear, set up for drum with a fish finder rig and spot head. But when I locked down the spool, the fish pulled loose with the fish head. Andreas' son Mike was the "HERO" of our group, pulling in fish after fish, mullet, pompano, and croaker. Not little ones either. They will make a fine meal. I think Mike is going to give pier fishing lessons every Thursday and I am going to get my reservation in before the class fills up! Thanks to the recent tropical storm that dumped at least twelve inches of rain on Topsail Island in 24 hours, which cooled the sea water down from 84 to 81 degrees. That doesn't seem like much but something happened to turn the fish on, and I can't think of anything else.

So if you if you have been waiting for the fish to come in, seems to me the wait is over. October may have come early this year. Get your stuff and come on down.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the puppy drum and flounder were still biting in the tidal creeks and sounds off the ICW before the storm. I don't know what effects Ernesto will have on the waters behind the island. But try using the Berkley Saltwater Gulp Shrimp, thats what they were biting last week. It seems the best way to fish them, is not to. Just let them lay, or move with the current, and hold on.

Just a note, Herrings Outdoor Sports has fresh
bloodworms. Go gettum' while you can! Those spots just love 'em!

For pictures of last nights fishing at Surf City Pier, click on the link below.

Surf City Pier Pictures

Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny