Daily Bible Verse

August 19, 2006

Kayak, Berkley Gulp, Puppy Drum



This red drum bit a Berkley Gulp Saltwater 3" Shrimp at about 8 am this morning on a rising tide in a tidal creek off the ICW. The 22 1/2 inch, 3 1/4 lb puppy drum made at least three hard runs before being landed, and turned my kayak at least 360 degrees. He wouldn't come in peacefully. I had three more on before the morning was over, one straightened out the hook on a white beetle spin, another broke the line stealing my beetle spin, and the third broke off my berkley gulp shrimp. I also caught three flounder on a berkley saltwater gulp. Flounder and reds LOVE this lure! The area I have been fishing these lures has lots of oyster beds. I am thinking the drum are feeding on crabs that are hanging around these beds. The best way I have found to fish these oyster beds is to throw the lure out and just let it lie there. If I try to fish it back to the boat, the oyster shells cut my line up, then a hookup will break the bait off. I mentioned earlier that I had one broken off this morning. I ran my fingers down the line, and I could feel the nicks in the line caused by the oyster shells. It was a fun morning and I have fish in the freezer. Life is good. The flounder were biting everywhere in the sounds and creeks this morning. I heard of several over two pounds, and one that approached three. Also the trout are supposed to start picking up now around the deep holes and around the docks. Trout love live shrimp. If you can find them, float them under a cork at a depth of about 18 inches or more depending on water depth. Keep the shrimp off the bottom, or it will be crab food.

UPDATE, 2nd Annual Mike Martin Memorial Fishing Tournament at Surf City Pier: Fishing was slow for the first day of the tourney. The largest and only flounder weighed in was less than a pound, 0.64 lb I think. The largest VA. mullet was weighed in by fishing bud Blake, at .72 lb. There was a nice spanish, over four lb, but I don't think the angler was registered for the tournament. Also caught was a 3 lb pompano. Now that's a "NICUN"! Hopefully the action will pick up for the conclusion of the tourney tomorrow.

Until next time......
Tight Lines!
Johnny

PS To our friends Andreaus and Karen, Fishing is starting to pick up. You better head south as soon as you can! We may catch them all before you get back!

14773