Daily Bible Verse

July 1, 2006

Ok, so someone is catching some nice fish.....

I talked to a guy on the pier Thursday evening. He set me straight on my comments about no one catching fish this year. Seems he has caught some nice trout from the pier. This is Surf City Pier we are talking about. I didn't get his name, so I will call him Joe Angler. Joe says he caught his limit of specs one night last week using a white and pink curly tail grub. He also caught one on a mirror-lure. Joe also caught a bunch of puppy drum the same night using sand fleas in the suds. I think he said sand fleas, I was so busy with my huge catch of two mullets during my 8 hour stay on the pier that I didn't take notes on what he said. Actually, my grandson Zack caught the mullets. I was just watching him catch them. Anyway, Joe says the reason there are no more big fish this year is no one is fishing for them. ????? I must be out there for the conversation. Maybe I really don't want to catch any large fish. Maybe Joe is full of it too. I mean if I caught my limit of specs, I would have told someone on the pier. The folks at the pier love to take pictures of catches like that. It's only good for the pier. Anyway, back to reality. One of my fishing buds, Glen, has had some luck this week, he has cought a couple of nice sheephead, one was six pounds I think. They DO have a picture of it in the pier house. Ok, to be fair to Joe, maybe he just doesn't know what a speckled trout looks like. Maybe he thinks they have leathery skin, black tips on the dorsal fin and tail, and a mouth full of teeth. That seems to be all most of the anglers were catching thursday night when I was there.
Till next time.........
Tight Lines!
Johnny