Daily Bible Verse

July 12, 2006

Migraine and Big Mullet

Migraines and big mullets, not exactly the best combination. A bad migraine has kept me from fishing much this week. I did go out to the beach this afternoon, about 3:30 pm with Christina. The expected crowd wasn't there so I got a fishing rod from the Blazer. Christina caught some fleas for me and I baited up while I watched her play in the surf with her new friend.

About 7:30 pm I think, I caught a really nice va mullet. I haven't measured or weighed it yet. It is on ice and will be measured and dressed tomorrow morning. Migraine was so bad tonight that I didn't have the umph left to clean the mullet tonight. This is the biggest mullet I have caught this year. I am sure it is over two pounds. It bit a large mole crab on a size 3/0 circle hook. When I first felt the pull, I thought it was a drum. Even when I saw it in the surf, it looked like a slot sized puppy drum. But as I landed the fish, I realized that it was a mullet. I even had a couple of beach walkers tell me that it was a drum, but I know a mullet when I see one. I will post size when I can. I hope to have a picture to post. I have a new computer, but I haven't installed my camera software yet, and I am not sure it will work.

Conditions were about perfect for mullet and drum fishing. The high tide was right around dusk, and a full moon brought in a higher than normal high tide. The water was just rough enough, but not too rough. There was virtually no undertow, and a three ounce pyramid held the bottom well. Mole crabs (sand fleas) are plentiful except near full high tide. Wind is out of the south at about five to ten mph. The water temperature at Surf City is 84 degrees. High temps in the upper 80's, warmer Tuesday with temps in the low 90's.

There have been some nice size trout caught from Surf City Pier, along with a couple of nice slot sized puppy drum. Blues and spanish are still biting, but still no kings. There have been a couple of nice spot runs, but they are small. It seems that fishing is finally picking up. I am glad to see the larger fish moving in.

Till next time........
Tight Lines!
Johnny


12679