Daily Bible Verse

July 3, 2006

Kayak trip

Zack, my grandson and I got skunked again on our kayak trip this morning. We left the dock before 7 am, and Zack threw a jig and minnow while I paddled to the pre-planned fishing grounds. We tried several strategies, but nothing produced any fish. Both of us got a couple of bites, but nothing was ever hooked. The tails of the Gulp shrimp we were throwing got bitten off, along with some mud minnows that were bitten in half or stolen from the hooks completely. Another angler in a kayak said he hooked a large flounder but lost it at the boat. I am new to this kayak fishing, and although I love being on the water in the little boat, I still have a lot to learn before I become productive at the sport. But the most important thing, is Zack and I had fun and really enjoyed our outing. I am enjoying my grandson's visit. I don't have anything to report from the surf or the piers, except to say that the beach is so crowded that throwing a hook in the water is more likely to render a kid than a fish, so I am abstaining until the crowds thin a bit. There was no parking to be found at Surf City Pier when Zack and I went down to check out the fishing this afternoon, so I am guessing that the pier was full. If any "catching" was going on, well, that will just have to wait until I can find parking that is wakling distance. Like Zack told me this morning on our Kayak trip, I'm getting old and grumpy. Yea, that's what my ten year old grandson Zack said about me. I seriously considered letting him walk back home. (He would have had to walk in the water) But there are some pretty deep holes in the channels and creeks behind Topsail Island, so I decided to let it slide this time. Love ya Zack!
Till next time.......
Tight Lines!
Cranky old Johnny

12331