Daily Bible Verse

June 20, 2006

Blues and Something Big in the Surf

I went surf fishing near Barnacle Bills old pier last evening. I caught several nice blues and nearly lost a nice surf rod and reel when something really big tried to run off with it. The monster pulled my sand spike over and I caught the rod just as it touched the sand. The line broke just as I put pressure on the unknown devil from the deep. I think the line broke where I had tied my shock leader to my 12 lb test stren line. There was no roughness on the line, just a break. I probably should have retied it, as it had been tied for several weeks. I also had my drag set too tightly, but I had a problem getting the blue I had caught previously in, so I had tightened it, and then failed to loosen it up after the blue was landed. I'll try not to make that mistake again. Surf City Pier is still producing some small spanish and blues in the daytime, and some small croakers, sea mullets, and spots at night. Surf anglers are getting blues and mullets, which are getting a bit bigger, and some black drum as well as some puppy drum. There are still some nice puppy drum being caught in the sounds and bays behind the island.
Until next time......
Tight lines!
Johnny

I have had some problems with my computer again, so my next post may be a while. Please accept my apoligies.