Daily Bible Verse

May 3, 2006

No Luck in the Surf

Fished near the old Barnacle Bills fishing pier today. I was out there from about 4:30 until after 7:30 pm. fishing the last couple of hours until low tide, then a couple of hours on the incoming tide. Only had one bite on sand flea. I must have set the hook to fast, cause I didn't get the fish. On a good note, sand fleas were everywhere today. One scoop with my flea rake and had at least a hundred medium size crabs. I have them in a cooler with a sealed bag of ice. I am wondering how long they will last.
I got an email fishing report from Captain Rick Bennet of Rod Man Charteres. I have pasted the report in this post. Till next time.....
Tight Lines, Johnny

Rod-Man Charters Report May 3, 2006
Hi Folks,
Wow, has the wind been blowing??? Things have finally calmed down for a while and the fishing is turning on for sure. We are catching reds, blues and a complete mixed bag of fish. The bonito have not been what has been expected this year, but they may show in numbers yet.
Here's my report:
Inshore: Redfish have been doing very well. Live bait or cut bait fished on carolina rigs around the inlets, the creeks and the waterway are producing fish. Bluefish have been strong in the inlets on the rising tide. Look for flounder to start biting any day.
Near shore: Bonito have been slow to materialize this year. Of course it has blown so hard for the last several days they may have been frolicking around out there and nobody could get to them. We have done well on gray trout and a mixed bag of other fishes. Spanish mackerel are just around the corner; I can almost smell them and hear them jumping.
Offshore: I am getting some reports of kings moving in around 10 miles out to the 23 mile range. Look for those kings (the spring size) to show up close to the beach soon! Grouper and sea bass fishing in the 25 mile range has been good.
Gulfstream: Wahoo has been the main catch here. A few tuna, mahi and billfish have added to the mix. Again, weather has not cooperated on many days for the big boats to get out.
All and all we have had a pretty good spring thus far, but the action is really starting to heat up now. My custom rods and their Okuma reels are freshly spooled with Fireline and ready to catch fish. I know you hear almost every time,
but I have to say, GULP has saved a many a trip this spring...it's good stuff, as are all the Pure Fishing/Berkley products.
Don't miss the pic of the week: http://www.rodmancharters.com/photo3.htm
Let's Go Fishing!!!
Captain Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Charters
910-799-6120

No comments:

Post a Comment