Daily Bible Verse

January 2, 2006

Trout and Flounder Still Here

I talked to a fisherman today on the Laniers Campground Pier. He was cleaning three speckled trout that he caught in the surf near Surf City Pier this morning in between rain showers. So there are still trout in the surf. I saw a couple of anglers on Surf City Pier, but I don't know the fruits of their outing.

A Saturday night flounder gigging trip netted a fisherman four flounder all keeper size. All were caught right in the Becky's Creek area. According to www.weatherunderground.com the water temperature is 48 degrees. I have always heard that trout vacate the area when the water temperature drops below 50 degrees. So........draw your own conclusions.
Until next time,
Tight Lines!
Johnny

1 comment:

  1. Hey Johhny,

    I've been catching Trout in water temps below 50 degrees for a couple of weeks. Most of the water around South Topsail where I fish has been around 48 but did "jump" back up to 51 after Christmas for a few days. I've come to the conclusion that the Trout never vacate the area, I've read that they are not migratory. It's just that they change their specific location within the same geographic area (deeper pools of water for instance) and their metabolism slows. That results in them eating less and being harder to find.

    By the way, I read your blog regularly and enjoy it! Thanks for sharing the information.

    Check out my blog if you have the chance, http://hampsteadfishing.blogspot.com

    Tight lines,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete