Daily Bible Verse

August 30, 2005

Re: Shrimp harvest

This message was posted on my blog by Anonymous....

Anonymous said...
I read where the shrimp harvest in NC waters was down 80% this year from the five year average. Seems no one is catching many. In fact some shrimpers have told me they aren't even going out right now cause the catches are down and gas prices are up.

4:16 PM, August 30, 2005


I haven't heard about the shrimp shortage. I don't doubt that what you said is true. Shrimp are still pretty cheap, although the quality is off. You can buy a pound of shrimp for $2.99 but they are really small. I admit that I am not an expert, but I must believe that the otter trawls, which have been used for many years, should not be used. The trawl is dragged across the bottom. This intrusion stirs up bacteria and destroys the shrimp breeding ground. The other options, one of which is a floating frame net, do not disturb the bottom. Seems to me like a better option for the environment and the shrimp. You shrimpers, if I am wrong, let me know. Like I said I am no expert.

Till next time, Tight Lines!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment