Daily Bible Verse

July 12, 2005

Huge pompano


Caught a really nice pompano this morning in the surf at Topsail Beach south of Jolly Roger pier. 15 inches long and 7 inches top to bottom. Bait was sand flea (my favorite bait for the surf). I catch fewer fish using fleas, but what I do catch is bigger. Ken had an even bigger pompano, but it got loose in the suds. Also caught 2 nice mullet on fleas. Weather was overcast. No breeze at all. We thought it would rain any minute. The ocean was very calm. A passerby walking down the beach told us we wouldn't catch anything because the surf was so calm. I opened the cooler, and he just left. I started using commercail rig, but was not catching anything but seaweed. I tied a single drop rig, with a number 4 hook, baited up with sand fleas. I started catching fish. Today they liked the "naked" rig, with no silver hardware.

There was only a few anglers on Jolly Roger Pier this morning. Action was very slow. No king fishermen.

No comments:

Post a Comment